Dr. Rachel Larson is the Assistant Dean of Academic and Career Development at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business. In this role, she oversees the College's career center, undergraduate academic advising, student engagement, and enrollment management offices. Her teams help current and prospective students succeed in college and their professional careers. She is the faculty advisor for the College of Business Student Advisory Board and the Nebraska circle of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a national leadership honor society.
Larson co-founded the College of Business Career Center in 2011 and served as its inaugural director. During her tenure leading the office, the Business Career Center was ranked #3 (2022, 2018) and #4 (2021, 2017) in the world by Financial Times and received The Career Leadership Collective's Career Innovation Showcase award (2019) and NACE Career Excellence award honorable mention (2021). Larson developed and coordinated the Professional Enhancement Program (PrEP), a series of four one-credit hour required classes to develop confident, professional, and connected graduates for lifelong career success. Prior to joining the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, she spent five years at the University of Connecticut’s Center for Career Development where she coordinated the Peer Career Advisor program and Explore, a nationally-recognized four-semester career development program for sophomore and junior students.
Larson’s research on newcomer adjustment has been published in the Human Resource Development Review journal and HR Magazine. She presented at numerous national and regional conferences, including the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), The Career Leadership Collective, and the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). An active member of NACE, she serves on the Board of Directors and several national committees, and in 2016-2018, she served as the Hire Big 10+ Career Services Consortium’s vice-chair.
Larson holds a bachelor's and a master's degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut.
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
PrEP II: Career Development and Planning (BSAD 222/222H) - Focuses on career development and planning. Part of the Professional Enhancement Program (PrEP), a series of classes designed to develop professional, confident and polished students for lifelong career success.
PrEP III: Internship and Job Search Strategies (BSAD 333) - Focuses on internship/job search strategies. Part of the Professional Enhancement Program (PrEP), a series of classes designed to develop professional, confident and polished students for lifelong career success.
PrEP IV: Professional and Life Skills (BSAD 444) - Focuses on professional and life skills. Part of the Professional Enhancement Program (PrEP), a series of classes designed to develop professional, confident and polished students for lifelong career success.
- Career Development
- Career Readiness
- Internship and Job Search Strategies
National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), 2005-Present
- NACE Board of Directors, 2023-2025
- Recruiting Standards Task Force Member, 2022-2023
- NACE National Conference Program Committee Co-Chair, 2021-2022
- Sourcing and Nomination Committee Member, 2019-2020
- Principles of Ethical Professional Practice Committee Member, 2018-2019
- NACE National Conference Program Committee Member, 2017-2018
- Education and Training Strategic Priority Committee Member, 2008-2009
- Leadership Development Program Participant, 2008-2009
The Career Leadership Collective, 2018-Present
- Mastermind Participant, 2019-2020
Hire Big 10 Plus Consortium, 2011-Present
- Mentorship Committee Member, 2012-2020
- Vice-Chair, 2016-2018
Nebraska College Career Services Association (NCCSA), 2011-Present
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Academic Advising Association, 2011-Present
Midwest Association of Colleges and Employers (MWACE), 2017-2019
Selected Institutional Service
- College of Business Executive Committee Member, November 2019-Present
- College of Business Scholarships, Honors, & Awards Committee Member, January 2020-Present
- Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Search Committee Member, May 2019-October 2019
- College of Business Strategic Planning Committee Member, January 2019-April 2019
- College of Business Dean Search Committee Member, August 2017-December 2017