Recent Awards (See vita for complete listing)
1. Distinguished Scholar Award, Midwest Academy of Management, 2014
2. University of Nebraska Outstanding Research and Creative Activity Award, 2008
3. Featured Interview as “Notable Scholar and Thought Leader in Management” for Journal of Management Inquiry, 2006
4. Seacrest Fellow Award for Faculty Excellence, University of Nebraska, CBA, 2004
5. Honorary Doctorate from DePaul University for Career Achievement, 2003
6. University of Iowa Distinguished Alumni Award for Achievement, 2002
7. In the Academy of Management’s Learning and Education Journal, an article using a quantitative review of a very large sample of management professors of “The Rated Importance, Scientific Validity, and Practical Usefulness of 8 Organizational Behavior Theories,” the Luthans Organizational Behavior Modification Theory came out as one of the eight highest rated (along with theories by Lewin, McClelland, Hackman, Locke, Miner, Vroom, and Bass).
8. The article on “Positive Organizational Behavior” at the 2003 national Academy of Management meeting was a finalist for the Best Published Article Award.
9. Currently editor of Organizational Dynamics and Journal of Leadership and Organization Studies
10. Academy of Management Hall of Fame (Charter member, based on being one of “Top Five” in entire history of management in number of articles published in Academy’s top tier journals)
11. UNL Excellence in Graduate Education Award (3rd such award given University-wide), 2000
12. President of the Academy of Management in 1986. The Academy is the professional association of virtually all management academics worldwide.