- Whether you are in accounting, actuarial science, agribusiness, economics, finance, management, marketing or supply chain management, there is some form of selling in every job.
- Sales communication training develops skills desired by employers and increases your market value.
- "There are a lot of brilliant people in business who cannot communicate with others. When they attempt to become managers, we have to replace them with the kind of people who can communicate.” –CEO of a California corporation
- Sales is a crucial component of every industry. Regardless your chosen profession, sales skills are a tremendous asset that can give you a distinct competitive advantage throughout your career.
- As a non-business major, this is a great set of skills to list on your résumé.
- Completing a Certificate in Sales Excellence proves to potential hiring companies you have strong communication skills, good relationship-building abilities, and that you will be an influential contributor.
Earn your Certificate in Sales Excellence completing 15 credit hours of required coursework. An Advanced Certificate in Sales Excellence is also available for students who complete an additional 3 credit hours of relevant coursework. Any and all majors are welcome to apply for admittance to the program by taking the first course in the program, Sales Communication – MRKT 257, which is an ACE 2 class.
Both certificates complement your existing major/minor and serve as a formal recognition that you satisfactorily completed the course requirements listed below. Certificates will not be listed on the student's transcripts. However, given the value of the certificates' curricula to prospective employers, you will benefit by mentioning these certificates on your résumé.
Sales Communication (MRKT 257)
Advanced Professional Selling (MRKT 357)
Sales Practicum I (MRKT 371)
Customer Relationship Management and Sales Technologies (MRKT 457)
Sales Force Management (MRKT 458)
Sales Practicum II (MRKT 372)
Advanced Professional Sales Certificate Additional Coursework
Key Account Selling (MRKT 460)
You will use state-of-the art facilities located in the Center for Sales Excellence role-play lab. With seven role-play rooms equipped with one-touch recording technology, class assignments put you in a setting to role-play, review and revise your work, which helps develop selling skills.
The sales labs also provide a means for professors to view and evaluate selling skills and techniques. As a student, you can also download role-plays for personal use, digital résumés and videos as samples to share with potential employers.
Thanks to the support of generous donors, students in the undergraduate Certificate of Sales Excellence program can benefit from multiple scholarships.
As part of the Sales Center program, students enjoy the tight-knit community that develops from being in the same classes and participating in the same sales projects.
We work in collaborative groups and the students really bond in this program to where you know everyone in a closer way
than normal classmates.
--Kathleen O'Toole '17 Marketing Major
Learning how to build relationships, communicate and persuade effectively will help you advance more quickly.
Seven soft skills employees are looking for are:
• Acting a team player
• Effective communication
• Problem-solving and resourcefulness
• Accepting feedback
• Creative thinking
As a sales center student, you will connect with companies who are recruiting for talent and provide a variety of opportunities for internships and full-time careers. Networking events on and off campus will also help introduce you to the talented people behind world-class sales organizations.
I started the Chapin scholarship program with the Sales Center because I believe in the sales profession. When I speak to students I explain a good sales person never wants for a job.
--Richard Chapin, Nebraska media pioneer
Competitions and Events
The center hosts a number of events that connect students and our corporate partners, challenge your sales skills, and celebrate your accomplishments. Students in the Certificate for Sales Excellence program also earn the opportunity to represent Nebraska at national and international sales competitions.
Connecting to Employers
The Center for Sales Excellence works closely with corporate partners who provide generous support to the program and our students. These partners not only help support the mission of the center, but also contribute to your professional development by attending events, participating in course projects, mentoring and regularly speaking in the classroom.
Center for Sales Excellence